Sunday 27 February 2011

Restaurant Review

Hits the Spot - PEB 04 Plaza, Plot 2027 Dalaba Crescent, behind PDP National Secretariat Wuse Zone 5, next to NAPTIP 
So this is a really cool place in my opinion. It's a quaint restaurant with a mini book store/library and they actually let you sit and read their books while you wait for your meal.They have decent food selection - Nigerian dishes and sometimes some continental dishes. Their menu is quite impressive but unfortunately not everything on the menu is readily available. What really got me was their drink selection. They had Strawberry Daiquiri, Margarita, Tequila Sunrise, Bloody Mary and some other mixed drinks. And get this, they were 500-600 naira a glass!!!!! This is probably one of the most reasonable prices I've seen in Abuja. The last time I requested for a Cosmo at a bar in Abuja I was told it was 2000 naira!!!!!!! Now that is just too bloody expensive. Any way back to the review. I tried the Strawberry Daiquiri and Margarita and I was not disappointed. Off course, it took them quite a while to prepare, I guess they are not used to people ordering their mixed drinks. On certain occasions, they also have free wine tasting. I haven't actually attended any of them. Overall, this is a very decent place. Check it out if you're around the area.
Cost - low - medium range, 200 naira and upwards
 So I cut out early from work (shsssshh don't tell my boss) to grab a drink at Hits the Spot. Had me a virgin Pina Colada. I could have gone for the alcoholic but I was already feeling guilty for leaving early. Not that It matters much here, there were a bunch of my co-workers there drinking alcoholic beverages. I still have my in built American work ethic in me hehehehehehe. Any way that's the picture of the Pina Colada above. Yummmy and get this, it cost only 300 naira. It's that awesome or what????

Nkoyo Restaurant- Wuse 2, K-City Plaza last floor
This is a classy restaurant with a nice ambiance.  Hardwood floors through out and very well decorated. The customer service is just the best I've witnessed in my little time in Abuja. I went shortly before the lunch rush and it was quite scanty as a result. A look through their menu revealed that this was somewhere I could afford to go to once in a blue moon or if a friend out of the goodness of his/her heart decided to take me there hahahahahaha. The menu consisted of local dishes and non local dishes. Once I found a cozy table, there was already a waiter there to take my order. I decided to go with the fish and chips (cost 1650 naira). They started me off with plantain chips with a very interesting sauce - tasted really good. After a few minutes, my meal arrived. The chips were crispy and hot just the way I like it and the fish was okay, I didn't care much for the mayo sauce and would have preferred a crispier batter. The waiters were very pleasant always checking in to make sure I was having a good dining experience- which I was. After the meal I was served a lime sherbet ( actually this was more of ice shavings flavored with lime). Bottom line, I would definitely check this place out again. A very nice place indeed.
Cost -  High range, 1000 naira and upwards
The picture above is a pic of the restaurant. That's towards the entrance. And the picture on the left is the Olive Bruschetta I had when I visited Nkoyo Restaurant earlier this week. Can I say yum!!!

5 comments:

  1. Okay girl, you gotta post pictures of all this yumminess or it didn't happen.

    You know I'm living vicariously through you via this blog so you gotta update everyday or as much as you can afford to lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What really got me was their drink selection. They had Strawberry Daiquiri, Margarita, Tequila Sunrise, Bloody Mary and some other mixed drinks. And get this, they were 500-600 naira a glass!!!!!"


    Sign me up please! If I'm not mistaken that is about $4 a glass???????? You sure it wasn't an error in price?

    ps: are you still doing dollar/naira conversion in your head to help decide if something is worth the price? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehehehe. Nah I'm not kidding. I was shocked when I saw the price list. I thought it was a joke had to double check with the waiters lol. Just went back today and got me some virgin pina colada. yummy....
    And yes I still convert. Can't seem to help it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things we have in common!

    A friend of mine chanced upon your blog a few weeks ago and shared it with me and I've been using it since then to source out new spots in Abuja worth visiting and blogging about!

    Incidentally, not only are we foodies (I'm still a newbie in the game), but I also begun blogging about eat-out spots in Abj when I was a Corper AND we're both Virgos! Who knew!

    I hope you keep blogging on new places to eat out at; it does prove useful.

    In my latest post about Nkoyo, I had to use your picture; inspired! I def gave you full credit on my blog; hopefully that'll curry some traffic for you too.

    Yours in the biz of food and drink (consumption);
    udee
    udeebee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much. I'm glad I could be of some kind of assistance. I was kinda of lost when I came to Abj and was really trying to find nice places to have a decent meal. I haven't really being on top of my game but I will try to get back to it. I've always wanted to try out the Chinese restaurant in Silverbird, but have been too scared to shell out massive cash for crappy Chinese food. Reading your review it doesn't sound half bad. Ok before I start rambling, thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. (we also happen to be both natural heads too - being on my journey since 2007. and I've curbed my pjism lol)

    ReplyDelete